Installing VM Tools in Ubuntu

In my Information Technology course, I have had to install a Virtual Machine (VM). We were instructed to install one over another because the instructor was more familiar with it, but could use anything we wanted. So, I installed Windows Hyper-V, since we are using it in another course. I fund out that it doesn't seem to want to go full screen with Linux for some reason. So I installed VirtualBox, no go. Won't start. Come to find out that if Hyper-V is installed, it runs all the time in the background and interferes with other VM programs. Okay, so fresh Windows install and I am going with VMWare as it is the one I am most familiar with.

The issue becomes then, getting it to go full-screen. For the love of god, please go full screen! Just simply installing VM Install Tools does nothing anymore. You install it from the guest operating system. Several hunts and partial instructions that assume you know what they're talking about, and I finally got it working. So here we go

1. Once your VM is up and running, you'll get a prompt to download VMWare Tools. Download it then extract it to the desktop. You'll see a folder like this:

 2. Right click on this folder and you'll have the option for Actions, hover over actions and select Open Terminal Here:
 3. Once you have a terminal open it should look something like this, it has opened the folder location:

 4. Copy and Paste this command:
sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d
-d means that it is accepting the defaults of the program. Press Enter and enter your password:

The Terminal will proceed to install the program. Once it is done, close the Terminal and Restart the VM. You should then be able to click on the FullScreen option on VMWare window to pick and choose the size of your window. Going full screen will allow you to work out of your VM as if it was the installed OS.

This is my first write-up, so please let me know if I missed something and I will fix it. If you have questions because I wasn't clear, I'll try to answer and edit the article.

Comments